Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 to 5 medium zucchini
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine first 11 ingredients and one can of the tomato sauce; mix well. Stir in tomatoes. Halve zucchini lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Fill with meat mixture; place in two 13x9-in. baking dishes. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over each.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes or until the zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with cheese during the last few minutes of baking.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 221 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Jul 23, 2016
This is amazing! I followed the recipe as directed. I will be making this again and again!
Jul 18, 2016
This was a delicious meal. I used ground veal in place of the beef and only used one tomato. The portion of the zucchini that I scooped out I used to stuff a separate one for my vegetarian daughter. Added some Parmesan cheese too. I used garlic salt in place of regular salt.
Aug 7, 2014
Aug 13, 2013
I made this without the jalapeno but everything else was the same. Delicious!!!
Aug 10, 2013
My sister made these and they were a hit. I adapted them with garlic, mushrooms and fresh corn off the cob and used yellow zucchini and will definitely make these again!
Aug 8, 2013
This was a great fresh recipe....nice change for the zucchini!
Aug 5, 2013
Delicious recipe! Tried this for dinner tonight and it was very yum... didn't add the jalapenos, and added more salt. Forgot the cheese at the end but it was fine without it.
Jul 28, 2013
Definitely a good recipe for using garden vegetables. I used my home-grown zucchini, jalapeño pepper and tomato sauce I made from my garden tomatoes for this delicious dish. I froze a pan of the stuffed zucchini for another time. All in all, avery satisfying and delicious dinner!
Jul 26, 2013
WOW, WHAT A GREAT DISH . A good way to use up the 4001 extra zucchini in the garden. Thanks
Jul 25, 2013
Tasty and healthy way to use zucchini from the garden!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.