Meat Loaf Stuffed Zucchini
I CAME UP WITH this recipe after being challenged to find different ways to cook this plentiful summer vegetable. At first, I decided to add zucchini to my meat loaf recipe...then it occurred to me to reverse the process and put the meat loaf into the zucchini! It was an instant hit. -Ruth Fluckiger, Tolland, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 pound ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Chop pulp; set pulp and shells aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add pulp, bread crumbs, milk and dill. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with spaghetti sauce; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 586 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1465mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 6g fiber), 38g protein.
Aug 21, 2010
I did increase the temp. to 375 for 45 to 50 min. and it turned out excellent. I would for sure make this again.
Jul 15, 2009
325 is too low for this recipe. Mine hardly cooked at all after 30 minutes @ 325. next time use 400