Stuffed Meat Loaf
My husband's job takes him away from home a good deal. When he returns, his first request is always for this stuffed meat loaf!—Lisa Williams, Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups herb-seasoned dry bread stuffing
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 small green pepper, diced
- 8 to 10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces thinly sliced fully cooked ham, optional
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, sausage, stuffing, egg, 3 tablespoons ketchup and 2 tablespoons steak sauce. Mix well.
- Pat half of the meat mixture into a 9x5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Layer with tomato, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, ham if desired and Swiss cheese. Cover with remaining meat mixture; press down firmly to seal. (Mixture may be higher than the top of the pan.)
- Combine remaining ketchup and steak sauce; drizzle over top of meat loaf. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°, draining off fat when necessary.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 394 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 742mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Meat Loaf in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.