Stuffed Ham & Egg Bread
My son, Gus, is a lover of all things ham-and-eggs, so I created this comforting stuffed bread with him in mind. I later added tomatoes to the recipe, and he still gives it a big thumbs up. —Karen Kuebler, Dallas, TX
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes; cook and stir until juices are evaporated, 12-15 minutes. Add eggs; cook and stir until they are thickened and and no liquid egg remains, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in ham.
- Unroll dough onto a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle cheese lengthwise down one half of the dough to within 1 in. of edges. Top with egg mixture. Fold dough over filling, pinching to seal; tuck ends under.
- Bake until deep golden brown, 17-20 minutes. Cut into slices.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 321 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 967mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Ham & Egg Bruschetta in Simple & Delicious February/March 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.