Prosciutto-Stuffed Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-3/4 cups soft sourdough bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 5 ounces thinly sliced Havarti cheese
- 1-1/4 cups loosely packed basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil and butter for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add mushrooms; cook 6-8 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender and no liquid remains. Stir in salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, thyme and mushroom mixture. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture; mix well.
- On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Layer the prosciutto, Havarti, basil and tomatoes to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seams and ends.
- Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 75-85 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 500 calories, 34g fat (14g saturated fat), 173mg cholesterol, 1111mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 21, 2016
This has a lot of ingredients but well worth the effort and the Havarti is awesome in it.l
Dec 28, 2015
Have made this a few times and it's always delicious
Jul 27, 2012
I made this for my 2nd anniversary and both my husband and I loved it. I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect. Wouldn't change a thing!
Oct 16, 2009
This is a fabulous dish! My men rave about it to their friends!