Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf
"Our family and friends love this no-fail recipe. It's a staple in our home." A topping of bacon adds wonderful flavor to this moist meat loaf. The brown sugar ketchup glaze takes it to a whole new level. Yum! —Zac Freeman and Paige Ponder, Chicago, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2/3 cup crushed saltines
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 9 slices bacon strips
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, pepper sauce, saltine, parsley and seasonings; stir in onion mixture. Crumble meats over mixture and mix well. With wet hands, shape into a loaf and place in a greased foil-lined 13-in.x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients; cook and stir until the sugar is dissolved and sauce has thickened. Spoon some sauce over loaf; place bacon over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 342 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf with Brown Sugar-Ketchup Glaze in Taste of Home February/March 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.