Stuffed Bread Boat
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut a thin slice off the top of bread; set top aside. Hollow out the loaf, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Dice removed bread and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper, spinach and tomato; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the oregano, salt, pepper, and diced bread.
- Spoon into bread shell; replace top. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into slices.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
May 24, 2010
My family loves this recipe! I like how simple it is to make. Tonight I am going to make it with ground turkey and mushrooms. I have made it with shredded cheese added also. So yummy!!
Jul 6, 2009
We have this cookbook and this is one of my favorites
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.