Stuffed Bread Boat
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut a thin slice off the top of bread; set top aside. Hollow out the loaf, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Dice removed bread and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper, spinach and tomato; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the oregano, salt, pepper, and diced bread.
- Spoon into bread shell; replace top. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into slices.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
May 24, 2010
My family loves this recipe! I like how simple it is to make. Tonight I am going to make it with ground turkey and mushrooms. I have made it with shredded cheese added also. So yummy!!
Jul 6, 2009
We have this cookbook and this is one of my favorites