Garden-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes or chopped fresh tomatoes (with seeds and juices)
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- Pasta sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Halve zucchini lengthwise; place cut side down in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scoop out seeds, leaving a 1/4-in. shell.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in 1 cup water, tomatoes, red peppers, mushrooms, pasta, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until mixture is thickened and pasta is al dente, 12-15 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon mixture into zucchini shells. Place in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 3/4 cup Italian cheese blend. Pour remaining water into bottom of dish. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes longer. Serve with pasta sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 stuffed zucchini halves: 489 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 992mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein.
May 14, 2019
Yum! yum! I needed to use a medium zucchini so made 1/3 recipe and served it with a Mediterranean Zucchini and Chickpeas Salad (All Recipes), A delightful lunch that tasted as if I'd ordered it at a restaurant. I used fresh tomatoes and otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. Delish!
Mar 8, 2019
John, you can buy fire roasted tomatoes in can at a grocery store. (diced)
Feb 13, 2019
Good recipe! I omitted the mushrooms and roasted red peppers since I didn’t have any; I used a red bell pepper in place of the green and I added corn. Very yummy!
Jan 20, 2019
Fire roasted diced tomatoes? Who is the idiot?
Jun 13, 2018
Great! I made these stuffed with just vegetables and it was still amazing!
Jun 6, 2018
Yummy! I omitted the red peppers, water and pasta. Added 8 oz diced mushrooms, more parmesan and mozzarella. Used fresh tomato. Will make again.