Garden-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes or chopped fresh tomatoes (with seeds and juices)
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- Pasta sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Halve zucchini lengthwise; place cut side down in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scoop out seeds, leaving a 1/4-in. shell.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in 1 cup water, tomatoes, red peppers, mushrooms, pasta, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until mixture is thickened and pasta is al dente, 12-15 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon mixture into zucchini shells. Place in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 3/4 cup Italian cheese blend. Pour remaining water into bottom of dish. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes longer. Serve with pasta sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 stuffed zucchini halves: 489 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 992mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 8, 2019
John, you can buy fire roasted tomatoes in can at a grocery store. (diced)
Feb 13, 2019
Good recipe! I omitted the mushrooms and roasted red peppers since I didn’t have any; I used a red bell pepper in place of the green and I added corn. Very yummy!
Jan 20, 2019
Fire roasted diced tomatoes? Who is the idiot?
Jun 13, 2018
Great! I made these stuffed with just vegetables and it was still amazing!
Jun 6, 2018
Yummy! I omitted the red peppers, water and pasta. Added 8 oz diced mushrooms, more parmesan and mozzarella. Used fresh tomato. Will make again.