Wild Rice Stuffed Squash
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 medium acorn squash (about 22 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2-1/3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecan halves, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash crosswise in half; remove and discard seeds. Cut a thin slice from bottom of each half to allow them to lie flat. Place on baking sheets, hollow side up; brush tops with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake until almost tender, 30-35 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, combine rice with contents of seasoning mix, broth, sage and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is almost absorbed, 23-25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute celery and onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in cranberries, pecans and parsley. Remove from heat. Stir in rice mixture.
- Fill each squash half with about 1/2 cup rice mixture. Return to oven, uncovered, until rice is heated through and squash is tender, 12-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed squash half: 275 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 24, 2017
This was just OK -wasn't flavorful l enough. Out of the 6 people I served it to, only 3 liked it.
Dec 15, 2012
Sep 4, 2012
iI've made these recipe many times over the last few years. Everyone I have made it for loves it.
Dec 17, 2010
These were absolutely delicious! The cranberries and pecan halves gave this a very harvesty/Christmasy taste and they came out of the oven perfectly cooked.
Nov 20, 2008
I am going to make this for dinner tonight with a few slices of pot roast and a savory gravy with the same seasonings as the stuffing. yum yum Darlene Hall