Wild Rice Stuffed Squash
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 medium acorn squash (about 22 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2-1/3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecan halves, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash crosswise in half; remove and discard seeds. Cut a thin slice from bottom of each half to allow them to lie flat. Place on baking sheets, hollow side up; brush tops with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake until almost tender, 30-35 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, combine rice with contents of seasoning mix, broth, sage and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is almost absorbed, 23-25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute celery and onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in cranberries, pecans and parsley. Remove from heat. Stir in rice mixture.
- Fill each squash half with about 1/2 cup rice mixture. Return to oven, uncovered, until rice is heated through and squash is tender, 12-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed squash half: 275 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 24, 2017
This was just OK -wasn't flavorful l enough. Out of the 6 people I served it to, only 3 liked it.
Dec 15, 2012
Sep 4, 2012
iI've made these recipe many times over the last few years. Everyone I have made it for loves it.
Dec 17, 2010
These were absolutely delicious! The cranberries and pecan halves gave this a very harvesty/Christmasy taste and they came out of the oven perfectly cooked.
Nov 20, 2008
I am going to make this for dinner tonight with a few slices of pot roast and a savory gravy with the same seasonings as the stuffing. yum yum Darlene Hall
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.