Mexican Skillet Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked jasmine or long grain rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 jar (8 ounces) taco sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir egg over medium-high heat until set. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, stir-fry chicken and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, beans, Mexicorn, peppers, taco sauce and green onions; heat through. Stir in reserved egg. Sprinkle rice with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 302 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 793mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 12, 2020
So easy!! Healthy and quick! Flavors meld beautifully together and I used hot taco sauce to give it some kick! This will be a staple in our home!
Nov 18, 2015
We also have teen Hockey player eating machines...I made it on Monday and they asked me to make it again on Tuesday. It's a keeper. Didn't change a thing. Perfect as is.
Nov 5, 2015
I used ground chicken instead of tenderloins and doubled the garlic. Next time I'd use more cilantro. Nothing special here, just a good one to file under Quick Cooking.
Oct 10, 2015
Came out great however, I used ground turkey and using two cups of rice plus all the other is just to much (just the wife and I)But I did give it to our neighbor who has two teen age boy eating machines and it was a hit.
Sep 12, 2015
This dish is right up my husbands alley. So I did a quick menu change when I came across it and surprised him. He really liked it.
Mar 31, 2014
My whole family loved this dish. It's one of those dishes that is easily adaptable to what you have on hand. I didn't have mexicorn so used canned corn plus a little red bell pepper; was out of taco sauce so used picante sauce. I also used up some leftover Mexican style rice from a previous meal. All worked great. Looking forward to making it again with the provided ingredient list!
Jul 3, 2012
Quick, easy and delicious. I used canned chicken and ready rice (the 90sec microwave kind) and it was still amazing. Love the addition of cilantro. Will definitely make this again. Great potluck dish!
Jun 18, 2012
I made this for dinner tonight with a nice pan of cornbread. The men at the table asked for seconds. I will definitely make this dish again soon! I love the fact that everything in the dish is healthy; the only change I made was to use brown rice, and roasted my own peppers.
May 15, 2012
My family (including two picky young boys) love this recipe and I sneak in a few extra veggies!
Mar 22, 2012
I added a bit more taco seasoning to this recipe for added pazzaz. My Son says it is a make again!