Spicy Rice Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Corn chips
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next eight ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add rice, sour cream and cheese; cook over low heat until cheese is melted, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Serve over corn chips.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 424 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 976mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
May 7, 2018
I prepared this according to the directions. It was just ok to me. This recipe makes alot. I used a stock pan instead of a skillet. Also, since I wasn't thrilled with the result, I made stuffed green peppers with the rice. Blanched the peppers for 5 minutes. Stuffed them. Baked them with additional rice, covered, at 350 deg. for 1 1/2 hours. I liked it better this way.
Apr 15, 2017
Fantastic! This is a great dish for pot luck... plate always comes home empty!
May 21, 2014
I've made this since it first came out in 1998? I'd lost the receipe but luckly remembered the name of this. It's not "HOT" or that "spicy" but man is it DELICIOUS!! I've made it several times and even for a company dinner to my Aunt and Uncle. My Aunt and I are the "Chiefs Of the Family" So we"re always trying to impress each other. She was impressed with this as everybody who tries it is. Even if they don't like rice they will like this. You can't go wrong here!
Dec 21, 2012
This is one of my kid's favorite recipes. I've been making it for years! Because it all goes together in one pan it's a snap to make. It's very filling, delicious comfort food.
Mar 13, 2012
I can't believe that there are only 5 reviews so far on this recipe, as I have been making this for years! Everyone that eats it loves it and its so fast and easy to make. This has been and will always be one of the best dishes I will make.
Feb 9, 2011
Quick and easy for a week night meal. It's also a great "comfort food" for those cold winter nights.
Jan 23, 2011
I wanted something different... my husband and I eat a lot of pasta so when I saw this I thought it would be good, but it wasn't just good it was GREAT! Very flavorful and easy to make! Thank you Taste Of Home! Will be making this again for sure!
May 29, 2008
I've been making this since it was published in the TOH cookbook. This is one of my all-time favorites and I always have the ingredients on hand.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.