Spicy Lasagna Skillet Dinner
Shortcut lasagna bails me out when I'm in a frenzy to serve dinner. A leafy salad and buttery garlic toast round out the meal. —Donna Booth, Tomahawk, Kentucky
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (6.4 ounces) lasagna dinner mix
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese blend
- Fill a large saucepan three-fourths full with water; bring to a boil. Add pasta from lasagna dinner; cook, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, salsa, seasonings, and contents of seasoning packet from lasagna dinner. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain pasta. Add to tomato mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand, covered, until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pasta mixture and cheese in separate freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a skillet, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand, covered, until cheese is melted.