Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min. + standing
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 lasagna noodles, cooked and rinsed
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Torn fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef, onion and pepper; drain if necessary. Stir in spaghetti sauce, oregano and basil. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- In a 10-in. cast-iron or other heavy skillet, spread 1/4 cup of the meat sauce. Top with three noodles, cutting to fit as needed. Layer with half of the remaining sauce and half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and Parmesan.
- Cover and heat on medium for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cook for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and let stand for 10 minutes with cover ajar. If desired, sprinkle with torn fresh basil leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 395 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 842mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 31, 2015
This was very good. I used fresh mushrooms instead of sauce with mushrooms. I will make this again. I will try adding ricotta to see how that tastes. Overall tasty and family enjoyed it!
Jan 8, 2014
Absolutely wonderful dish. Took kinda long to pull it all together, but worth time and effort.
Oct 17, 2013
I BROWN THE GROUND BEEF THE DAY BEFORE & ALSO SIMMER THE SAUCE THE DAY BEFORE, THAT CUTS THE TIME DOWN SOME WHAT. GREAT RECIPE!
Sep 29, 2011
My family really enjoy this dish
Sep 2, 2010
My family enjoyed this dish especially my 13-month-old son. The seasonings can easily be varied to suit your personal tastes. Of course, with cooking the lasagna noodles and cutting up the vegetables, this dish took me longer to make than 65 minutes. I will make it again, but probably not very often due to the amount of work and time it requires.