Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook the turkey, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, mushrooms, brown sugar and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add pasta; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until pasta is tender, 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 621 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 967mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 7g fiber), 36g protein.
Dec 13, 2018
Very tasty. Used mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar.
Feb 22, 2015
My husband loved it, but I thought it was missing something. I added some crushed red pepper and Parmesan cheese to mine. Next time I think I will had some garlic and a bit more brown sugar. My pasta stuck together and had to pull it apart after about 15 minutes. I would probably check it sooner than that to try to separate it before it gets gummy.
Oct 20, 2011
My kids loved this recipe!!! They took seconds. I have tried homemade pasta sauces for 30 years and this was the first that my kids loved.
Mar 1, 2011
absolutely one of the best spaghetti recipes i have ever tasted. Gives spaghetti a new meaning!!!
Dec 2, 2010
I thought this was pretty good even though I didn't follow the recipe exactly. I used 1 lb ground beef because that's what I had on hand- and it was plenty enough meat. I left out the sweet red pepper because I didn't have one. I left out the cheese due to preference and I added some garlic. The concept of this was really good. Next time I would like to try making this with 1 lb italian sausage. I would use the red bell pepper, and I would also add more garlic next time. This might also be good with a splash of wine. I also would like to try fresh mushrooms instead of canned. I would use more brown sugar than called for. This is really a great one-pot recipe and is very easy to personalize to your own tastes. Just wanted to know after adding the angel hair pasta it was cooked through in about 15 mins, not 30-35 as called for in the recipe.
Nov 30, 2010
Easy and delicious. I subbed diced carrots for the mushrooms and added a clove of garlic. Delicious!
Aug 10, 2010
I used ground beef and left out the mushrooms...my husband loved it. This recipe is a keeper.