One-Pot Meaty Spaghetti
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti, broken in half
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional chopped parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook and crumble beef with garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in sugar and seasonings. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and 1/4 cup parsley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Stir in spaghetti, a little at a time; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered, until spaghetti is al dente, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle with additional parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 292 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 737mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat.
Jan 31, 2019
I love this recipe. Sometimes I use a pound of Italian sausage or less beef, depending on what I have on hand. So glad Kristin shared!
Oct 28, 2018
Been making spaghetti like this for years. I add a bit of spaghetti sauce instead of sugar to add a bit of sweetness to counter the acid of the tomatoes. I don't like my sauces very sweet. I add a lot more basil and oregano, about a tablespoon of each and I add a teaspoon of Italian spices too. I like mine a bit more "spicy". Let it as long as you can. The sauce gets better the longer it sits!
Dec 28, 2016
Really liked this. Quick and easy weeknight meal, and a nice alternative to a jar of sauce.
Nov 2, 2016
I have tried many different recipes for homemade pasta sauce and considering how easy this one is it is at the top of the list. I made the sauce, ran some errands and then was able to come home, reheat the sauce and add the pasta. Will definitely be making this again!