One-Skillet Chicken Fajita Pasta
You can have this quick, easy fajita pasta on the table in no time. We love the kicked-up southwestern flavor, and I like being able to make the whole meal in my cast-iron skillet. I sometimes garnish it with crushed corn chips. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 envelope fajita seasoning mix, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and 4-1/2 teaspoons fajita seasoning; cook and stir until no longer pink,5-7 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet. Add onion, green pepper and remaining 4-1/2 teaspoons fajita seasoning. Cook and stir until crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pan.
- In the same skillet, add broth, diced tomatoes, green chiles, cream and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Return macaroni, chicken and vegetables to skillet; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 448 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 1304mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Creamy One Skillet Chicken Fajita Pasta in Taste of Home October/November 2019
Sep 12, 2019
First off, I didn't make this, it looks good, but I cringe at all the "1 pan" recipes that start with "cook pasta as directed"... seems like another pot/pan being used.