Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound medium pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, 3 cups mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley and remaining pepper. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with beef mixture and spaghetti sauce (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Freeze option: Sprinkle casserole with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 667 calories, 30g fat (14g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 1209mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 44g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 28, 2018
YUMMY!!! I used 1.5 lbs of ground beef instead of 1 lb.
Apr 26, 2018
I carefully read all the reviews before making and it is clear that there is too much pasta in this recipe. So I reduced it in half and used 8 ounces of penne pasta. It was absolutely perfect and delicious! It was moist and did not overflow. I also added the spaghetti sauce to the cooked ground beef and heated it up before adding it to the casserole dish, which decreased the bake time to 35 minutes. (plus an additional 10 minutes after removing the foil and adding the rest of the cheese to the topping). Giving it 4 stars because of the "error" in the recipe calling for way too much pasta.
Mar 30, 2018
Thank u!!! Yummm Yum??? Going to make this for Easter for my family.
Feb 11, 2018
It was bland, too much ricotta cheese, and the 3 quart dish is too small(sauce boiled over into the oven). Next time, I'd mix all the ingredients instead of layering it.
Jan 3, 2018
This is great comfort food that you can eat tonight and have two smaller ones to freeze. We like our lasagna saucy so I actually used two and a half jars (regular size). It keeps the casserole juicy and moist. I make my sauce first and set aside until I'm ready to assemble. Penne pasta works really well. I recommend draining some liquid out of your cottage cheese (some brands more watery than others) with small strainer over bowl or sink, so not too watery. I usually add an extra egg or two. So juicy and yummy, with two dinners waiting in the freezer. Extra sauce really beneficial for those! Make this!!!
Oct 16, 2017
I loved this, I actually dumped everything into a large bowl and then poured it into the casserole dish. It does make a lot so when I make it again I will divide it into 3 and freeze 2.
Oct 9, 2017
I used the mini lasagna noodles from Bulk Barn...OMG.... second time around was better than the first ! Hoping the third time is better than the second which was better than the first LOL This recipe is a keeper !
Sep 2, 2017
Jun 26, 2017
Very tasty. I used ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese. Makes a lot. Might cut recipe in half next time.
Apr 24, 2017
love this recipe, made it twice now . I make two casseroles with this recipe, one 8X11 for us and one 8X8 for my sons house. I use one pound hamburger and one pound ground italian sausage, plus I also add one can of italian stewed tomatoes. As far as the cheese, we use what the recipe calls for plus add a little asiago since we always have that on hand. I also used brown rice spiral noodles since we have diabetics in our family and it is just as wonderful, if not better than standard noodles.