Spicy Sausage and Rice Skillet
The spicy sausage in this quick skillet dish gives it a kick, and the sliced apples are a pleasant, tart surprise. —Jamie Jones, Madison, Georgia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8.80 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly browned. Remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute squash, zucchini, pepper, onion, apple, garlic and salt until until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add rice, beans, 1/4 cup water and sausage; cook and stir until heated through, about 5 minutes, adding more water if needed.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 285 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 668mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chipotle Sausage and Rice in Simple & Delicious August/September 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.