Spicy Sausage and Rice Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8.80 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly browned. Remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute squash, zucchini, pepper, onion, apple, garlic and salt until until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add rice, beans, 1/4 cup water and sausage; cook and stir until heated through, about 5 minutes, adding more water if needed.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 285 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 668mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 12, 2019
I don't know why this recipe is not rated higher. I have made this twice for my family and we agreed it needed to be added into regular rotation. I did make a few adjustments the second time. First: Make sure to use a spicy sausage. I used a jalapeno chicken the first time, and the best I could find the second was Italian chicken sausage. Both were good, but the spicy sausage definitely brought better flavor to the dish. Second: We used 2 small/medium granny smith apples the second time because we all really liked the contrasting flavor burst it provided to the dish. Third: I used Seeds of Change Whole Grain Brown Rice and Quinoa, and we used 2 packages when we made it the second time. I prefer adding this to plain rice in dishes because I feel it has better texture and flavor. I do think saying there are 6 servings in the original recipe is being really generous unless you are not making this as the actual meal. With the additional ingredients I added I got 5 light servings.
Aug 19, 2019
This recipe was full of flavor! I did use only 1 squash and 1 zucchini instead of 2 for skillet space but will definitely make again. It makes great use of summer vegetables.
Jun 4, 2019
First of all, 2 cups of rice a whole can of beans, 2 squash 2 zucchini, a pepper, onion and an apple absolutely do not fit in a skillet. I would do maybe one squash OR zucchini if you have any hope of tasting the apple and maybe 1/3 of the rice? Second, there is no flavor. I added Italian type spices as my sausage happened to be Italian spiced (it was just what I had in the fridge). Overall, it can be a quick and easy dish but needs some serious adjustments with quantities.