Sausage ‘n’ Chicken Skillet
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 pound smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon thyme and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the kielbasa, onion and green pepper until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, rice, bouillon, hot pepper sauce, and remaining thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Return chicken to the pan; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 296 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Apr 28, 2014
Serve with a slice of lime and squeeze over hot meal for a flavor twist - quite yummy...
Mar 12, 2013
We really like this simple recipe. I always add a bit more kielbasa sausage than the recipe calls for, but, follow the recipe otherwise. Good, simple food.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.