Sausage & Chickpea Skillet
This quick sausage and chickpea dish is perfect for weeknight meals! You can throw it together quickly with just a few ingredients. —Phyllis Schwartz, Arcadia, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked rice or pasta, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, celery, carrot and garlic in olive oil for until vegetables are tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas, tomato paste, sugar, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes and sausage.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered until heated through, 4-6 minutes.