Skillet Zucchini and Sausage
I lived on the Oregon coast for 20 years and had plenty of guests dropping by. I often turned to this quick and easy dish, serving it up with skillet cornbread or garlic bread. Judging by the requests for the recipe, everyone loved it! —LaBelle Doster, Vancouver, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound fully cooked smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 to 5 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Herb seasoning blend to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet, lightly brown sausage. Add onion, celery, green pepper, garlic, oregano and pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are almost tender. Add zucchini and tomatoes; cook and stir until zucchini is just tender. Sprinkle with seasoning blend.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 130 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Zucchini and Sausage Side Dish in Reminisce July/August 1993