Sausage Zucchini Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook sausage, zucchini and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups sausage mixture with 1/2 cup cooked rice: 262 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 8, 2017
Made exactly as written. Very bland & family requested me NOT to make it again. My recommendation would be to use a summer sausage/smoked sausage , or andouille sausage.
Jul 13, 2016
Made this last night and was it ever good. With a few additions, according to our tastes, I think the dish was improved. Partially cooked cubed potatoes, seasoning salt, toasted fennel seeds, corn, and wine flavored It up just right for up; left out the rice this time.
May 31, 2016
This is a recipe that you can tailor to suit your family's tastes. I served it over noodles instead of rice. Very good and quick. Just don't cook the zucchini to death. We like it al dente. It does need some salt and pepper and a bit of Italian seasoning because it is bland.
Feb 20, 2015
Jun 17, 2014
You know it is a good recipe when your 13 year old says "I like zucchini." For someone who doesn't ordinarily like zucchini, he liked this dish. It was quick and easy. Only variation was that we added red pepper flakes to kick up the spice level. This was a tasty dish that was perfect for a hot summer night.
Jul 31, 2012
A good recipe, just nothing groundbreaking about it. Very fast to make, so good when you need a quick dinner.
Jul 17, 2012
Delicious! I used ground hot Italian sausage and threw in some yellow squash and some chopped red peppers too. Served over brown rice.
Aug 15, 2010
I use hot Italian Turkey Sausage, Italian diced tomatoes, extra garlic, and add some Italian seasoning to make the skillet more intensely flavored. Delicious.
Jul 8, 2010
Excellent! I used hot turkey sausage and added the extra link. Served over Orzo as another reviewer suggested. I decreased the serving size to 1 cup. Very yummy!
Mar 7, 2010
This recipe is fantastic. The only change I've made is to add a can of Rotel tomatoes. I serve it over orzo for something a little different.