Sausage Rice Skillet
Flavorful pork sausage, fresh zucchini and instant rice make this stovetop sensation a favorite. Everyone I have shared this recipe with tells me how delicious it is. —Connie Putnam, Clayton, North Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
- 2/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add the zucchini, onion, green pepper, oregano and garlic salt; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in V8 juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-14 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Return to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork.
Health tip: Decrease the sodium to 700 milligrams per serving by using reduced-sodium V8 juice and replacing half the sausage with plain ground pork. Sprinkle in extra oregano and garlic powder for a flavor boost.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 381 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1153mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Jul 8, 2018
This was pretty tasty. I liked the sausage versus hamburger idea
Jun 28, 2012
This is a nice simple recipe, goes together fast. I used regular rice and canned tomatoes since that is what I had on hand and I thought it turned out fine.