Spicy Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound mild Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, finely minced and seeded
- 1 package (6.20 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, cumin and garlic powder over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add onions and green peppers; saute until crisp-tender.
- Dissolve bouillon in water; add to skillet. Stir in jalapenos, rice and rice seasoning packet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until water is absorbed, 5-10 minutes.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 473 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1365mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Oct 18, 2013
My kids love this "spicy rice", and ask for it by name! I have used long-grain white rice, and adjusted the cooking time to 15 minutes. It comes out fine with ground beef, too, but the sausage is really fantastic. Kind of like a deconstructed stuffed pepper recipe, easily adaptable, and a keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.