Savory Wild Rice Casserole
Seasoned with sage and tasty pork sausage, this filling rice casserole is a hearty accompaniment to roast turkey, chicken or duck. I especially like the crunch that the sliced water chestnuts add.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 45 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a saucepan, combine water, rice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add broth, soup, mushrooms, water chestnuts, sage and rice. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 212 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 724mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 9, 2014
Very tasty! I halve the recipe for just my husband and me, leaving out the sage. I think this works just as well for a main dish or a side.
Dec 1, 2010
This was very good. A nice hearty meal. Made exactly as wrote.