Savory Wild Rice Casserole
Seasoned with sage and tasty pork sausage, this filling rice casserole is a hearty accompaniment to roast turkey, chicken or duck. I especially like the crunch that the sliced water chestnuts add.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 45 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a saucepan, combine water, rice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add broth, soup, mushrooms, water chestnuts, sage and rice. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 212 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 724mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Savory Wild Rice Casserole in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Jan 9, 2014
Very tasty! I halve the recipe for just my husband and me, leaving out the sage. I think this works just as well for a main dish or a side.
Dec 1, 2010
This was very good. A nice hearty meal. Made exactly as wrote.