Crunchy Rice Casserole
I tried this at a church potluck years ago and begged for the recipe. The crunchy cornflake topping pairs well with the creamy rice casserole. - Beth Logan, Lakefield, Ontario.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the ketchup, mustard and salt; mix well. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with rice.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, soup, milk and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over rice. Combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 minutes or until heated through.
Divide Crunchy Rice Casserole between two 1-quart baking dishes. Sprinkle 1 cup buttered cornflake crumbs of top of one casserole and bake as directed. Freeze the other dish for later, sprinkle with 1 cup buttered cornflake crumbs just before baking.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 329 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Crunchy Rice Casserole in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.