Crunchy Rice Casserole
I tried this at a church potluck years ago and begged for the recipe. The crunchy cornflake topping pairs well with the creamy rice casserole. - Beth Logan, Lakefield, Ontario.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the ketchup, mustard and salt; mix well. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with rice.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, soup, milk and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over rice. Combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 minutes or until heated through.
Divide Crunchy Rice Casserole between two 1-quart baking dishes. Sprinkle 1 cup buttered cornflake crumbs of top of one casserole and bake as directed. Freeze the other dish for later, sprinkle with 1 cup buttered cornflake crumbs just before baking.