Wild Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, oil and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the onion, celery and carrot in butter until vegetables are almost tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth and undrained rice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened, 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, rosemary and salt. Simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 270 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 21, 2017
This recipe is a good start, but as has been mentioned in other comments, it was pretty bland and watery as is. I changed things up a little the next time and it's awesome! I doubled the rice and cut back on the water to 3 cups. Also doubled the veggies. Added 2 cups cut up rotisserie chicken. and 1 tsp of McCormick Tuscan seasoning in place of the Rosemary. Comfort food perfection!
Nov 25, 2016
My husband and I LOVED this soup! I did put in a bit more rice - 1/2 cup instead of 1/3 - because we like a thicker soup. It was wonderful! Will definitely make again! I also added a little ground red pepper at the end!
Mar 26, 2016
This is a delicious recipe! The only reason why my husband and I are giving it 4 stars is because we thought that it was in need of more rice and veggies. This was a perfect, meatless dinner, however!We doubled the amount of rice and added more vegetables. We also added chicken later on. It was pretty runny, but thickened up really well the next day. Delicious recipe!
Nov 21, 2015
Had this recipe sitting around for quite some time and finally tried it last night. The only thing I would change is adding more rice. I will try making it with a full cup of rice and maybe add a clove, or two, of garlic next time. This was easy and delicious!
Mar 5, 2015
This was delish. ! I have made this several times. !!!!!
Feb 21, 2015
This was pretty yummy. I used fresh rosemary and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I thought it could be a little more chunky. Next time, I will use more rice and vegetables.
Jan 24, 2015
It's not that it's bland, but that it tastes like heated up, salted half-and-half. I added a little pepper but it wasn't enough to save it.
Jan 11, 2015
I'm sorry I thought this was very bland, not enough rice, no flavor. Wont' make it again.
Dec 26, 2014
We added fresh mushrooms and my family loved it! Next time I will add more rice though.
Dec 20, 2014
Delicious! I added shredded chicken too and will try it with mushrooms next time.