Slow-Cooked Vegetable Wild Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, plus more for topping
- Combine all ingredients in a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until rice and vegetables are tender, 5-6 hours. Discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs before serving. If desired, remove leaves from remaining thyme sprigs and sprinkle over soup when serving.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 117 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Jul 14, 2019
This is a good thick soup. Almost a stew I think. It was tasty. I did not have a parsnip or fresh thyme and I had to use regular canned tomatoes. These things probably would have improved it.
Mar 30, 2019
Great soup. Wish I could submit photos. Anyhow, I sliced/diced/chopped vegetables and roasted my own tomatoes. I did not use parsnips so mine is a bit different. The flavors is great. Crispy crunch from celery, depth from mushrooms, and everything in between is covered on the palate. The longer the ingredients sit, the deeper the flavors from fresh ingredients!