Slow-Cooked Vegetable Wild Rice Soup
This thick and hearty soup is packed with colorful vegetables. —Thomas Faglon, Somerset, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, plus more for topping
- Combine all ingredients in a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until rice and vegetables are tender, 5-6 hours. Discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs before serving. If desired, remove leaves from remaining thyme sprigs and sprinkle over soup when serving.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 117 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Originally published as slow spicy vegetable soup in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.