Slow-Cooked Beef Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 9 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil over medium heat; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the vegetables, broth, water, spaghetti sauce, barley and seasonings.
- Stir in beef. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender. Skim fat.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 259 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1316mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 21g protein.
Feb 24, 2018
Made as is. A very thick soup. I feel like the barley cooked too long and was too soft and mushy. I like the Vegetable Beef Barley Soup (slow cooker also) better than this.
Nov 1, 2015
Excellent soup and easy to make. Will put it in my very favorites cook book!
Dec 30, 2014
Soup was very good. Will make it the next time. But I will go easy on the spices. It was delicious with corn bread. Will spray the Crock pot with pam spray first to keep the ingredients from sticking to the sides.
Oct 29, 2014
Good flavor in this easy to make soup. I added some frozen green beans and corn that I had on hand too.
Mar 29, 2014
Jan 14, 2013
Really good on a cold winter's night! Love a great low-cal soup that has meat in it!
Jan 6, 2013
Easy! I ended up cooking on high for about 4 hours and then low for 3 and it turned out great. Served with garlic bread.
Mar 27, 2012
Just to add to my last comment, this soup freezes beautifully. Wow! Yalk about comfort food - it's delicious.
Feb 14, 2012
We loved this soup! Second day was even better. Will definitely make it again.
Jan 27, 2012
Easy and delicious. Didn't have time to brown the diced beef, so I threw everything in all at the same time. Was rushed for time so I set crockpot on high for six hours and soup came out perfectly. Had quick cooking barley and added the last two hours in the crockpot.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.