I know lots of minestrone recipes don't contain meat, but my husband thinks a meal is only a meal if it contains some sort of meat. Consequently, this is the perfect meal. It strikes that balance of flavorful, healthful, and soul-satisfying. —Juli Snaer, Enid, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 beef top round steak (1 pound) , cut onto 1/2-inch cubes
- 15 fresh baby carrots, halved
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked ditalini or other small pasta
- Fresh oregano, shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Combine the first 13 ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in pasta. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until pasta is tender. If desired, top with fresh oregano and shredded Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 255 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 1124mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Beefy Minestrone in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.