Hearty Meatless Minestrone
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup small pasta shells
- Fresh basil leaves and shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, cabbage, green pepper, zucchini and garlic; saute 3 minutes longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes, beans, tomato puree, tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta; cook 12-15 minutes longer or until tender. Garnish each serving with basil and cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 191 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 664mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Nov 12, 2015
This is a staple in our house...great soup!!
Mar 14, 2013
Wow, multiplied times 5 and made this for a meatless dinner at our church. They loved it and many said it was the best soup they'd ever eaten...bar none. My husband put it together and he was glowing with all the grateful compliments.
Jan 16, 2013
This is simply THE BEST winter soup. It's hearty, warm, the cayenne gives it just a little kick, low calorie, my family LOVES this soup!
Feb 26, 2011
A very good minestrone recipe. Makes a lot!
Nov 10, 2010
I loved all the veggies in this soup. I thought it needed more liquid, but I may have just added too much pasta. This is a great healthy recipe!
Oct 17, 2010
I substituted cannelini beans for the chickpeas and cut the recipe in half, also left out the cabbage. Soup was delicious!
Apr 30, 2010
I made the recipe and I liked the chunky veggies. I had left out the tomato sauce because I didn't have any. I could not tell the difference. Next time, I will substitute kidney beans for the chickpeas.
Apr 3, 2010
I actually added a little sausage to make my meat eating hubby happy and we both loved this hearty veggie packed soup.
Mar 17, 2010
I have made this recipe a couple of times. It is very good. I reduced the amount of cayenne pepper on the second batch when one of my kids said it was a bit too spicy.
Mar 2, 2010
I just gave this to my kids for dinner; I used my immersion blender to blend out the chunks, and my son loved it! And I do too!