Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked small shell pasta
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings; set bacon aside. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce, broth and beans. Bring to a boil. Add the pasta, brown sugar, basil and oregano. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Add green beans; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Garnish with reserved bacon and Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 188 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 meat.
Jul 10, 2015
This minestrone was really good. I didn't have time to go to the grocery store, and I barely had time to throw dinner together. This recipe was perfect. I had everything on hand and it turned out mighty fine!
Feb 9, 2015
I have made this recipe several times. It is wonderful just as written.
Dec 12, 2013
DH doesn't like minestrone, but I think it's good enough to bring to fellowship. I used Barilla veggie macaroni.. Omitted the bacon, used grape seed oil instead.
Apr 9, 2013
Hearty and full of flavor! It is even better that Olive Garden's!!!
Feb 8, 2011
My family loved this soup. I didn't have small shells noodles and used broken up pieces of spaghetti noodles instead.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.