Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes20 servings (5 quarts)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked ditalini or 4 ounces spaghetti, broken into 3-inch pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a stockpot, saute the onions, celery and parsley in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cabbage, carrots, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir into soup along with the zucchini, beans and pasta. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender. Top each serving with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 209 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein.
Jun 5, 2017
Good hearty soup. I prefer a stronger herb flavor, so I added more basil, garlic, and Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. It was very thick, so I also added 1 /2 c water when all the ingredients were preparing to cook at the end. Still was very thick and good flavor
Jan 28, 2017
Great recipe! Everyone loved it!! A couple changes I made; I used a large can of diced tomatoes, no cabbage, a whole zucchini, 8 cups of beef broth and used 6 pieces of crumbled bacon instead of ground beef. Next time I won't use a 1/4 cup of oil as it just didn't need that much.
Oct 19, 2016
We loved this soup, but made a few changes according to our taste. Did not add cabbage or leeks, used kidney beans, and added about 1 to 1.5 cups more broth. Husband and I both loved it. Will be added to our regular menu - we both love soup for our evening meal with salad and fresh bread. Since it is just the two of us, divided the left over into freezer containers. Try this one - perfect as written!
Apr 30, 2016
I used two cans of white beans instead of the other beans, no cabbage, or green beans and I added a little wine and three bay leaves. It came out perfect. I was shocked how much flavor it had. It needs more liquid though.
Feb 20, 2016
Absolutely wonderful soup! I didn't have any cabbage but it's great without it! I had to thin it out some with about 3 cups of broth and tomato juice. Still very hearty. Used mini shells and I can't say enough good things about it!!!!!' Freezes great too!
Nov 21, 2015
Really good. I threw in a bunch of extra stuff to account for all the stuff that I didn't have on hand and it still turned out delicious! Even my husband and 2 year old loved it!
Nov 3, 2014
Delicious. I mixed lean ground beef with pork sausage (cut from the casings) and the whole family loved it. I also used mini shells for the pasta and loved the look and taste. I must admit, I am not sure how this is supposed to make 20 servings. I made this for Sunday dinner, feeding 6 adults and two children, and we barely had enough leftover to make one bowl of soup the next day for lunch. Granted, I used BIG bowls to serve the soup in, so that might have something to do with it. ;)
May 26, 2013
My family loved this! In fact, my six year old had thirds and asked for this to go on his list of favs.
Apr 9, 2012
This was great! I made it for a sick friend, and it made so much we had some for our dinner too. We don't even like minestrone, and this soup converted us! I used Italian sausage instead of ground beef and added more stock. Will add more cabbage next time, too, since that was my favorite part!
Jan 12, 2012
Excellent recipe, good on a cold fall or winter day. My husband and children enjoy the soup. It is very hearty and filling, when completly cooked sometimes I need to even add 2 cans of V-8 juice to the soup to help thin it out. I do not even add hte salt, still very good. I get so many compliments on this recipe. It makes a large pot full and even freezes pretty good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.