This recipe pleasantly proves that decreasing fat intake doesn't mean saying farewell to ground beef's full-bodied flavor. This soup is sure to be a hit in your home.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain. Add next 11 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon of Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 141 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Beef Minestrone in Country Woman September/October 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.