Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) kidney beans with liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, crumbs, salt and pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In large saucepan, brown meatballs on all sides until no longer pink. Drain. Add remaining ingredients except macaroni and parsley; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add macaroni; simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in parsley.
- If Cooking for Two: Freeze serving-size portions to enjoy later. 8 servings, 1 cup per serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 210 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Jan 20, 2017
Excellent hearty soup! We enjoy spicy, so I did as others suggested and added 1 can of Rotel, garlic, used beef broth in place of the water, and increased the pasta to 1/2 cup. Will definitely make again.
Mar 19, 2015
This is fabulous!!! I used another reviewer's additions of 1 can Rotel tomatoes and about a half teaspoon of crushed garlic. I increased the macaroni to a half cup and used 2 teaspoons beef base with the water. I served the soup with parmesan cheese. Yum!!!
Feb 28, 2015
I really enjoyed this soup and the meatballs are great in it. Thank You!
Feb 4, 2015
Absolutely wonderful! I make meatballs in quantity and freeze portions for use in spaghetti, etc. so went straight to the kitchen to make this recipe. Used beef broth instead of water and since I am a spice loving person also added half a can of Rotel as well as diced onion and garlic to the broth. This is the perfect winter meal and I will freeze individual portions for wonderful quick meals whenever the mood strikes. Quick to make and deserves ten stars and I am a hard to please old lady.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.