Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) kidney beans with liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, crumbs, salt and pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In large saucepan, brown meatballs on all sides until no longer pink. Drain. Add remaining ingredients except macaroni and parsley; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add macaroni; simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in parsley.
- If Cooking for Two: Freeze serving-size portions to enjoy later. 8 servings, 1 cup per serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 210 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 20, 2017
Excellent hearty soup! We enjoy spicy, so I did as others suggested and added 1 can of Rotel, garlic, used beef broth in place of the water, and increased the pasta to 1/2 cup. Will definitely make again.
Mar 19, 2015
This is fabulous!!! I used another reviewer's additions of 1 can Rotel tomatoes and about a half teaspoon of crushed garlic. I increased the macaroni to a half cup and used 2 teaspoons beef base with the water. I served the soup with parmesan cheese. Yum!!!
Feb 28, 2015
I really enjoyed this soup and the meatballs are great in it. Thank You!
Feb 4, 2015
Absolutely wonderful! I make meatballs in quantity and freeze portions for use in spaghetti, etc. so went straight to the kitchen to make this recipe. Used beef broth instead of water and since I am a spice loving person also added half a can of Rotel as well as diced onion and garlic to the broth. This is the perfect winter meal and I will freeze individual portions for wonderful quick meals whenever the mood strikes. Quick to make and deserves ten stars and I am a hard to please old lady.