Minestrone with Italian Sausage
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes11 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, celery and leek; cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, green beans and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Stir in the garbanzo beans, pasta and parsley. Cook for 6-9 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 253 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Mar 5, 2017
Excellent! And even better the next day :)
Jan 3, 2017
Great soup! Can't sat enough good about it.
Nov 4, 2016
This is a very good basic minestrone. I made a few changes and it still turned out great! I used hot Italian sausage, and since I didn't have any leeks, zucchini, or green beans I left them out. Instead I added some frozen mixed veggies, and used the cabbage instead of spinach. I also precooked my pasta before adding to the soup. Very tasty and satisfying meal!
Apr 20, 2016
Positively awesome!!!! This is my families favorite new soup!! I have made this soup several times since i found the recipe. I only made a few changes; I used spinach instead of cabbage, frozen green beans, and kidney beans. Thank you for sharing this recipe Linda :)
Jan 31, 2016
My family loved this soup! Very healthy & hearty. This soup will be one of my go to for dinner when it's cold outside.
Jan 4, 2016
I omitted the leek & celery, the soup was fantastic!
Dec 28, 2015
this was my first time making minestrone soup and it was FANTASTIC!!! I've made it three times so far and it has been a big hit in my house!!! Thank you.
Dec 27, 2015
This is the best minestrone I've ever had. I've made it as is and I've also substituted spinach for cabbage and chicken stock for beef and both were delicious! My family raves about it. A definite keeper!
Jan 6, 2015
We made this for a child that normally doesn't eat veggies and he loved it! We made it as is and it was a perfect winter soup!
Nov 28, 2014
This soup was wonderful. I used spinach, navy beans and cooked my pasta separately. I served it on Thanksgiving night and there were many compliments. Thanks so much for the best Minestrone that I've ever had!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.