Quick Chicken Minestrone
You'll love this flavorful chicken minestrone soup that comes together with pantry ingredients. Dress it up by serving with garlic bread. —Patricia Harmon, Baden, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (5.9 ounces) chicken and garlic-flavored rice and vermicelli mix
- 1-1/2 cups frozen vegetable blend (broccoli, red pepper, onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the chicken, onion and celery in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, water, beans, tomatoes, rice and vermicelli mix, vegetables, pepperoni, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender, 18-20 minutes. If desired, sprinkle each serving with cheese and pepper flakes.