Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes2 batches (6 servings each)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook the pork, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato juice, tomato sauce, broth, carrots, zucchini, Italian seasoning, salt, sugar if desired and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Transfer 6 cups of soup to a freezer container; cool. Freeze for up to 3 months. Add water and pasta to remaining soup; bring to a boil. Cover and cook until pasta is tender.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator; transfer to a large saucepan. Stir in water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add pasta; cover and cook until tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 242 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 853mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 15g protein.
Jun 22, 2015
I didn't add the water as I wasn't really looking for a soup. I wanted something a little heartier but with the same flavor. It came out pretty good. I think I'll wait until the cooler weather comes to make it again though.
Jun 11, 2014
This is the best Minestrone soup I have ever had! I have made this repeatedly for about 4 years now. Whether I freeze half or make it all to serve to guests or have extra for lunches. Its my favorite. I often just make it with hamburger because thats whats most commonly in my freezer.
Jun 15, 2012
I make this often for my family, easy to make. This is my oldest daughter's all time favorite meal.
Nov 30, 2010
served this when i had guests over, everyone had seconds!! i actually left the pork out, and it was still a hearty delicious soup.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.