Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup each sliced carrots, celery and zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced sweet yellow pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup medium pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the carrots, celery, zucchini, yellow pepper and onion. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat.
- Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 9-11 minutes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 765mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein.
Jul 8, 2010
Excellent soup. I am one of those strange people who likes soup year-round, even when it's in the 90's. This was great in the microwave and I didn't have to heat up the kitchen.
Jan 8, 2010
I've made this soup a number of times, although I prefer to use a dutch oven and not the microwave. I double the recipe and then add another cup of beef broth and a 12-oz. can of V-8 juice, as I like more broth than it has as written. I also prefer small pasta shells. When I can't get cannellini beans, I substitute Great Northern beans. I use olive oil and often add several cloves minced garlic. This will make about 12 one-cup servings. Lovely, fresh Italian taste!