Microwave Scalloped Potatoes
I adapted this recipe from one that came with our microwave oven. The results were delicious.—Mary Hufford-Baker, Sweet Home, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in cheese until melted. In a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the potatoes, onion and cheese sauce. Repeat the layers twice. Cover and microwave on high for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until the potatoes are tender.