Microwave Scalloped Potatoes
I adapted this recipe from one that came with our microwave oven. The results were delicious.—Mary Hufford-Baker, Sweet Home, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in cheese until melted. In a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the potatoes, onion and cheese sauce. Repeat the layers twice. Cover and microwave on high for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with an 850-watt microwave.
This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 253 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Microwave Scalloped Potatoes in Country Woman January/February 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.