Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced (about 5 large potaotes)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese slices, finely chopped (3/4 cup), divided
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place a third of the potatoes in a shallow 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of each cheese and half of the onions. Repeat layers. Top with remaining potatoes. Pour milk over all.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until potatoes are nearly tender. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 327 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 604mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Mar 27, 2018
Made these last night and I cook a lot of food so I have leftovers pretty much every night. But no leftovers for last night. And I made a big pot of these potatoes. Followed the recipe to the letter and they turned out great. Very creamy and tasty. I did add Lil' Smokies on each layer and that took care of a meat for dinner. Served it with some green beans, and crusty bread. Great dinner for the week night.
Dec 26, 2013
I don't understand how anyone gave this recipe 5 stars. It was basically a pan of potatoes in milk. I assume that the flour, milk and cheese are supposed to come together to form a sauce - that never happened. The potatoes tasted fine, but they are NOT scalloped potatoes. I think you are supposed to make the cheese sauce separately and pour it over the sliced potatoes. I will try again using a different recipe.
Dec 8, 2013
easy and really taste good
Apr 2, 2013
I used Youkon Gold potatoes, sliced thin. I also added garlic powder. Next time I will also add Italin seasoning. It turned out great.
Apr 9, 2012
I thought this recipe was really lacking something. I made it for Easter dinner based on the reviews and was disappointed. Guests didn't complain but didn't get rave reviews either.
Dec 25, 2011
CHRISTmas Eve Dinner, 2011. Basic recipe followed, but with some changes. Very nice, but found Yukon Gold Potatoes are not a good choice for baking in a casserole, never softened like as done and I baked almost two hours. Yukon Golds fantastic for mashed pots ... yum ... Merry CHRISTmas .. !
Jan 22, 2011
This is a really good scalloped potatoe recipe. I looked all over to find a nice cheesy one at this one is it! The swiss cheese and onions are really good, but I did use minced dried onion because that's all I had but they softned up and taste wonderful. This is my go to cheesy scalloped potatoe recipe from now on!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.