Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, arrange half the potatoes, onion and green pepper in layers; cover with half of the sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Melt remaining butter; combine with bread crumbs and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 250 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 974mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Dec 23, 2016
Has anyone tried Durkee Onion rings instead of bread crumbs?
Jan 15, 2014
I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. I followed the ingredients however it ended up being VERY watery. Still great flavor but not creamy at all.
Jul 21, 2011
I did quite a few additions, but used ths as a base. I added 1 tsp chicken base flavoring, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp tumeric and 1 tsp italian seasoning. I also didn't use the bread crumbs on top, or green peppers (didn't have) and added chopped ham that needed to be used up. I added shredded colby jack to each layer and baked for 55 minutes covered and uncovered for 15 min. Absolutely delicious!
Jul 17, 2011
I made this today along with TOH Grilled Pork Roast and German Cabbage for guest and everyone love it. Thanks TOH I will keep making this pork dish.
Feb 27, 2011
This was very good. I will go to this recipe when I want to make scalloped potatoes.
Dec 7, 2010
Double cheese layer and cook with recipe... don't use bread crumbs
Nov 10, 2010
Wonderful! Wonderful! The only difference I made was to forget the bread crumbs and butter for the top and added a can of cream style corn instead. Loved it - really creamy and delicious! Old fashioned taste.
Oct 31, 2010
This was awful! Very dry and absolutely no flavor at all
Jan 30, 2010
I have several scalloped potato recipes that I use in rotation. They are a bit different from each other. I think this one is my personal favorite.
Oct 9, 2009
Excellent, rich, creamy and delicious. You can't go wrong with these potatoes. And, they are so easy to make. Great sidedish!