Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 1 hour
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Grease a shallow 13x9 baking dish with the butter; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the cream, milk, salt, pepper and garlic. Cook just until bubbles begin to form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes; pat dry with paper towels. Layer half of the potatoes in prepared baking dish; top with half of the cream mixture and half of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until potatoes are tender, 20-25 minutes longer. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 402 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Mar 16, 2019
Wanted to try something different, this recipe was easy to make and great tasting, love the garlic in this recipe, will make again.
Apr 1, 2018
Just made this for Easter dinner...will pop into the oven an hour before dinner. I’ve been making this for several years...my husband and I love it. I frequently add onion...today I also added leftover chopped red pepper. Always add fresh Italian parsley. Hadn’t thought about bacon but will try next time as well as different cheeses. I always make a huge dish...cut leftovers into serving size and freeze. Great recipe...thanks for posting.
Jan 1, 2018
This has been my all-time favorite scalloped potato recipe since I discovered it in taste of home I think 15 years ago. I usually make it with Italian shredded cheese blend but it's superb with Swiss or with Italian cheeses
Jun 27, 2017
These are awesome!!
Oct 27, 2014
I have been making this Ultimate Scalloped Potato recipe since I saw it in the TOH magazine. My husband and I absolutely love it. I follow the recipe and it has always come out great. I have served it to guests who always go back for seconds. Thanks Glenda for sharing this wonderful recipe.
Mar 16, 2013
Found this recipe and thought I would try these for my large dinner party. I must say I was extremely disappointed as were all my guests! Even though I mixed the cream, milk, etc. and just brought it to bubbling around the edges...the finished product still curdled and looked gross!Even the flavour was not exceptional and I had added rings of onion and crumbled bacon. I think I will stick to my own recipe of scalloped potatoes. Thanks anyway.....
Sep 19, 2011
So awesome-ly delicious! My whole family absolutely loves these. I also add bacon and onions. Portion control goes right out the window when these are on the menu!
Sep 11, 2010
These are the best scalloped potatoes, and the only ones I make any more! My daughter LOVES them and asks for them all the time!
Aug 24, 2010
These are awesome. I've substituted with other cheeses and had excellent results. I also add sliced onions and crumbled bacon. Yum!!!
Apr 7, 2010
I made this recipe as written with one change. I didn't have Swiss cheese so I used cheddar. It was fantastic! I will never make scalloped potatoes with cream soup from a can ever again. This recipe is easy and delicious!