Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a greased 1-qt. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes. Add the onion and half of the sauce. Top with remaining potatoes and sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 537 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 6g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2013
Easy to make and came out great.
Jul 25, 2011
I made this recipe for Easter dinner. I had always been more of an augratin fan, but this recipe made me reconsider...I loved it! And even the reheated leftovers were good!
Jan 6, 2010
Easy and delicious!
Jan 8, 2008
This is excellent! If I'm in a time crunch, I add about 1 teaspoon minced, dehydrated onion to the sauce instead of chopping fresh (then I only have to layer the potatoes and sauce). I find the time listed in the recipe to be a bit off. After 35-40 minutes, the sauce is still a bit on the soupy side, and the potatoes not quite done, so I remove the cover and bake them about 15 minutes more. Just the little extra time makes the sauce creamy instead of soupy, and the potatoes tender.