Scalloped Potatoes au Gratin
I FOUND I could cut down the time in preparing scalloped potatoes by first simmering them on top of the stove in an ovenproof skillet and then slipping it into the oven to finish them nicely with a brown crust.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 2 large)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Dash each salt, pepper and ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 to 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Place half of the potatoes in a greased small ovenproof skillet; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon flour. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Dot with butter.
- Add enough cream to fill skillet about three-fourths full. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Carefully place skillet in oven. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 353 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 301mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Scalloped Potatoes in Reminisce February/March 2008