Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
What's not to like about these tender potatoes with cheese topping? This recipe, shared by Edie Farm of Farmington, New Mexico, is a downsized dish full of traditional taste.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the potatoes, onion and half of the sauce. Top with remaining potatoes and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 327 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 1156mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Scalloped Potatoes in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.