Slow & Easy Minestrone
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 small zucchini, halved and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
- Cook barley according to package directions; stir into soup. Add beans; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 154 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1002mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 9g fiber), 7g protein.
Sep 28, 2014
This soup was easy to make and is very good. I think I would add some hamburger to it next time to make it even more hearty.
Oct 31, 2013
I love veggies so minestrone is one of my favorite soups.I made a few changes due to what we had on hand and for our tastes. I used crushed tomatoes because that is what we had on hand. I added red wine and substituted chicken broth for the veggie broth. Finally I left out the barely and added pasta instead at the end. Overall the recipe was good. I would make it again with the same changes and adding some additional spices for more flavor.
Nov 14, 2012
This was such an easy recipe to throw together. I didn't have a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, but I DID have a 35 oz can of Italian plum tomatoes with basil... so I put those in the crock & used my kitchen shears & potato masher to break them apart. As a side note, I did not add the basil later as I didn't feel I needed it after tasting. I did add a couple of teaspoons of salt at the end as I do feel it needed something a little more. Make sure you are generous with the zucchini slices...maybe an inch... as they will break down eventually. I cooked mine on high for about 4 hours before reducing the heat. Also... take note... that you might plan on making the barley ahead of time as the brand I had on hand... took about 40 min & I hadn't planned that into my cooking time.
Oct 15, 2012
I left out the beans and added 1/2 can of beer, doubled the barley and it was SO good! Lots of work to put up all the veggies but worth it!
Sep 21, 2012
Tasted very bland to me