Contest-Winning Easy Minestrone
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes11 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 11 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil and butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, parsley, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add macaroni; cook, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with cheese. Freeze option: Before adding cheese, freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 180 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 443mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Feb 16, 2018
This turned out very well. I was really impressed with the flavor it packed, and it was super healthy to boot. There were a few adjustments I made. First off, I hate cabbage, so I simply substituted a mixture of kale and spinach in place of the cabbage. Additionally, I had a zucchini on hand, and I decided to slice it up and add it with the rest of the veggies. Third and probably a result of having the extra zucchini, I added some extra chicken stock to the soup because it needed some more liquid. Other than that, the only differences were that I added a tiny amount of red pepper flakes and some dried porcini mushroom powder that I had on hand. Overall, the soup was fantastic, and I will be making this again. Thanks for the recipe!
Nov 21, 2017
Decided to take a bag of soup out of the freezer and it happened to be this soup. Not my usual Minestrone recipe but decided to try a new one. So glad I did. Loved it. I use the ditalini pasta, instead of the elbow macaroni and I also added some 1/4'd pepperoni slices to give it just a little more zip. So good!
Feb 23, 2017
Feb 19, 2017
Great flavor, easy to make. We also added shredded zucchini!Great on a cold New Hampshire day!
Feb 2, 2017
Good recipe. I added some salt and used vegetable broth. I think this will be even better after sitting in fridge for a couple of days.
Dec 7, 2016
This soup was awesome. I omitted the beans and chickpeas because my husband won't eat them. I ended up adding extra celery, carrots, noodles and threw in some frozen corn and broccoli that I had on hand as well as a fresh zucchini. I figured that would account for the beans. I ended up adding some bacon gouda chicken sausage to our individual bowls and man it hit the spot on a cold night. I don't think anyone could screw this soup up, it's that good. Thanks for sharing!
Oct 23, 2016
I joined the site specifically so that I could post my thoughts on THIS delicious soup. It is wonderful! I added a 10 ounce can of Rotel Original with Green Chilies to add some spice (the Cajun in me takes over in the kitchen) and I used Ditalini Pasta instead of elbows. Quick, Easy and so Delicious! Sure wish I could add a photo of my Soup. My family LOVES it.
Jul 6, 2016
Loved this soup! Made it based on other reviews, and it didn't disappoint! Halved the black pepper and tomato sauce. Used vegetable broth and added a small zucchini. Great vegetarian option for quick meal!
Mar 8, 2016
I had to join this site just to post a review of this soup. I am actually just finishing off the last of it. SUPERB! and so easy, even a guy (me) can make it. Substituted green beans for garbanzo beans (didn't have any) and didn't use cabbage, also substituted farfale (bow ties) for the pasta. AWESOME! Thank you, thank you thank you.
Nov 4, 2015
What a wonderful soup--I will make this often. Followed the recipe exactually. Nice recipe that didn't call for a lot of unusual ingredients.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.