Contest-Winning Greek Pasta Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3-1/3 cups uncooked whole grain spiral or penne pasta
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Chopped fresh oregano or basil, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, chicken, tomato sauce, tomatoes, spinach, olives, onion, green pepper, basil and oregano.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle with oregano or basil.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 398 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 832mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 34g protein.
Jan 13, 2019
Definitely needs more... more cheese, more sauce, more seasoning. My kids will eat anything but wouldn't barely ate
Apr 9, 2016
I have served this recipe to perhaps a few thousand over the years- It is always a hit. Once you try the original, you will know how to substitute ingredients- The flavors are [email protected]
Dec 31, 2013
Not great. Needs to be more saucy & cheesy
Mar 25, 2013
Added some additional cheese in the mixture as well and added additional Greek seasoning on top. Easy, quick and inexpensive. I divided into two baking dishes and froze one for another night.
Mar 9, 2013
Quick and easy to make and absolutely delicious. My family absolutely loved it! There was plenty to go around. I added a little salt and pepper, otherwise it was perfect!
Mar 18, 2012
I really liked this recipe. It was quick and easy to make. I'm a vegetarian so I cut out the chicken and I hate olives so I left those out also. I added more cheese too :) I think next time I may try it with some beans in place of the chicken. I liked the texture of the onion and pepper in the casserole too.
Nov 17, 2011
i made the following changes:::i used fresh spinach instead of frozen. boil it for 1-2 min.i used regualr penne instead of wheat.i also used regular onion and a bell pepper, i cooked them along with the chicken.it turned out great and my family loved it!!
Nov 21, 2010
Didn't like the spinach in the recipe or the cheese on top.
Nov 18, 2010
I made this recipe for my family tonight and we didn't like it. It just seemed blah. It just wasn't a hit. We like all the ingredients, but it was missing something. Seemed so bland.
Oct 1, 2010
I added more cheese because all of the guys in the house love cheese but otherwise very tasty and disappeared quickly. Also, I used boneless/skinless chicken thighs to add more moisture.