Contest-Winning Sweet Potato Bake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 7 large sweet potatoes (about 6 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 12 oatmeal cookies, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook just 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Mash potatoes with butter. Add marmalade, orange juice, brown sugar, salt and ginger. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Toss cookie crumbs with butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes or until browned. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 293 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 13, 2019
This dish sounds delicious! Has anyone made it using crumbled, gluten free oatmeal cookies on top?
Apr 1, 2019
Love the hint of orange in these sweet potatoes. I chose to use my regular brown sugar and pecan topping instead of the cookie topping. Will make this again.
Nov 14, 2018
Made this last Thanksgiving and plan on making it again this year. Everyone loved it...even those who don’t care for sweet potatoes said it was great. Try it...you won’t be disappointed!
Nov 8, 2018
This was a wonderful change from the usual sweet potato casserole. I made it according to recipe except used apple pie spice instead of ginger. Family is not fond of ginger. Highly recommend this recipe.
May 8, 2017
This was a hit at our friends holiday get-together! The crust oatmeal cookies were deliciously different!!
Nov 12, 2013
Different, but tasty. Did not put in ginger and sprinkled some bread crumbs on top instead of the oatmeal cookiess.
Nov 11, 2013
Very tasty. Will make again.
May 6, 2012
very good and tasty
Oct 10, 2011
i usually make the sweet potato bake with the cranberry pretzel topping for our family gatherings. made this for thanksgiving yesterday for something different. it was good - but not as colorful and festive as the other dish. nice flavor though.